Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Pick Your Poetry..

Being that Lewis Carroll is one of my favorite poets, I chose three of his poems for this assignment: The Walrus and the Carpenter, A Boat Beneath a Sunny Sky, and How Doth the Little Crocodile.  They may be somewhat simple in terms of literary analysis, but they are fun and light in terms of topic and easy to read.  They seem to fit, very well, into what I enjoy reading and keep in the back of my mind as favorites; especially The Walrus and The Carpenter because I absolutely love the way that it rhymes and is childish, but can still grab the attention of adults all over.

The other poems that I picked: To My Wife- With a Copy of My Poem by Oscar Wilde, As Soon as Fred Gets Out of Bed by Jack Prelutsky, and Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein are mostly light, fun, and easy to read.  The whole series of Shel Silverstein's poetry books were ones that I was hooked on when I was younger and still think of when I am asked about my favorite poetry because they make me think about life, but not to the point where I am depressed about what I see.  As Soon as Fred Gets Out of Bed is one that my mom used to recite to me when I was being silly as a child, so it sticks with me because of that.  

2 comments:

Jessica Rozek said...

I loved Shel Silverstein when I was little, and I kind of forgot about him, Good job on picking his poems!
I remember you were talking about the walrus poem in class and how it didn't make any sense because he the author was always on LCD. I'd be really interested to read it, along with his other things.

Erinn said...

I say don't shy away from poems just because you think they might be too "simple" for an analysis. If you really are interested in these poems, then think of which essay topic option might work for you to use. It might be interesting to look at the way such poems appeal to both children and adults. What makes a poem interesting to one audience and not the other? Or, what are different meanings these poems possess based on the audience being addressed?